The finished building has a gross area of approximately 148,000 square feet (13,800 sm) comprised of 16 classrooms, 13 labs and 7 shops as well as necessary support spaces. Also included is Office space for the newly-renamed School of Transportation Technology (formerly, School of Motive Power Technology), as well as a servery/cafeteria and several student lounges.
In addition to state-of-the-art equipment and learning tools, the facility features a variety of exciting green innovations, including:
- Vegetated green roof system over shop areas
- Storm water reclamation for toilet flushing and site irrigation
- Solar hot water preheating
- Solar powered GPS tracking skylights for natural day lighting in the auto shop
- Natural day lighting
- Passive solar shading
- Enhanced thermal protection
- Occupancy and daylight sensors, VSD’s, energy efficient lighting and enhanced building automation systems
- Many low/no VOC materials and finishes
- Other environmental/sustainability initiatives and materials
The College received funding from the Government of Ontario and from the federal government’s Knowledge Infrastructure Program (KIP), which was created to fund “shovel-ready” projects at colleges and universities.